You may not notice, but the air quality of the room you are sitting in has a significant effect on your health. With winter approaching, ensuring properly humidified air is crucial to your wellbeing.
According to the Environmental Protection Agency, it is recommended that your home’s humidity level be kept between 30% and 50%.
If you are unsure about the air quality of your home, here are some sure-fire signs you should invest in a humidifier:
- Static Electricity. If you notice a flurry of static electricity under the covers when you turn over in bed at night, it might be a sign that your air is too dry.
- Cracking Furniture. Cracked, dry-looking furniture or wooden instruments with cracking in their finish are a good indicator of dry air in a room. Gaps in wooden flooring and doorframes can also occur as a result of dry air.
- Check Your Furnace. If you enjoy constant heat in your home, with the thermostat cranked up, this might be contributing to your dry air problem. Consider turning down the heat for a while—it will improve the air quality while cutting electricity costs.
- Dry Skin. Dry, itchy skin or chapped lips are telltale signs of poor, dry air. If you have a pre-existing skin condition, like eczema, this could be worsened. For people with allergies, a dry room can worsen symptoms significantly.
- Nose Bleeds. If you have never had a nosebleed before, and all of a sudden, you find yourself running for a Kleenex every day; your air quality might be the problem.
- Dry Throat. This symptom is especially prevalent in the wintertime. If you or your family are experiencing frequent bouts of sore throats and flu-like symptoms, you should consider purchasing a humidifier.
How Will a Humidifier Help Me?
Humidifiers work by putting moisture back into the air. Here are a few ways you can benefit from these wonderful machines:
- Ease your congestion, and relieve sinusitis
- Encourage smooth, healthy skin
- Reduce and improve allergies, like asthma
- Keep your plants healthy and happy
- Prevent your wooden furniture from cracking and buckling
- Improve your sleep
- Help you save on utility bille
- Alleviate snoring
- Slow the peeling of wallpaper
To keep your home comfortable and pleasant all year long, monitoring your humidity levels can be as important as regulating temperature.
At R.J. Wiley, we provide expert HVAC installation, maintenance and repair to ensure that your home heating and cooling system is working to moderate humidity levels as well as the temperature of your home.
For more information about our HVAC products and services, contact us today at R.J. Wiley.